Slime can be messy, leading to most parents banning their kids from playing with it. However, slime has several benefits to your child, such as helping your little one improve in the problem solving, testing, and evaluating skills.
Therefore, if you have banned your child from playing with slime, perhaps it’s time you reconsider your decision. This article will explain why it’s important for your child to play with slime and how you can make slime with baby oil.
The benefits of slime
One of the benefits of slime is that it introduces your child to the scientific concepts, such as polymers and viscosity. You see, slime is considered as a basic level of chemistry experiments that teach your little one what happens when two elements combine to force their molecular structure to transform into a new substance.
Because slime allows children to have hands-on experiments, it’s likely that they can learn to love chemistry and science at a younger age.
Slime making depends on various factors like the art of mixing, ingredient ratios, humidity, and outside temperature. This helps your child improve their problem solving skills because they have to get the right combination to get the best results.
Another important factor is that slime allows your kid to have sensory play. Sensory play is necessary for the kids to develop their fine motor skills. In this way, your child will feel comfortable doing various activities, such as cutting. Aside from this, slime can help your kid control their emotions. By stretching, kneading, and swirling the slime, there is a good chance that your kid can calm down.
What you need to make slime
Before you consider making slime, you should make sure that you have gathered all the ingredients in one place. Here are the ingredients you will need:
- Glue. Find clear or white school glue.
- Borax. Take one teaspoon of borax powder and mix it with one cup of hot water. You should thoroughly dissolve and put it aside for use later on.
- Food coloring. You can use paint or pastel colors.
- Shaving cream. Buy shaving cream from your local shops.
- Baby oil. Get baby oil preferable with cocoa butter and Shea to make it stretchy.
Making the slime
Now that you have gathered together all the requirements, it’s time to make a fluffy slime by taking the following steps:
- Firstly, pour half cup of glue into a separate cup or bowl.
- Pour 1/3 of the solution of Borax and water into the mixture of glue and stir. You will see the mixture thickening after a couple of stirs.
- Add a few drops of food coloring or paint. Then add half a cup of shaving cream.
- Take the baby oil and add 3 Squirts of it and keep stirring until you see and feel that it’s too thick to stir any longer.
- Remove the slime from the water and begin kneading using your hands for about 7 minutes. Do this until the slime is no longer sticky.
- Lastly, you can store your slime in a container or a plastic back and put it in the refrigerator.