Metal roofing is popular across the world for a long time. These are especially common with commercial buildings, but these work great for residential buildings too. Metals such as galvanized steel, aluminum, zinc, stainless steel, and copper are the common choices. However, each metal roofing option comes with a distinct set of properties, and depending on your purpose you can choose your metal.
The thing with zinc roofs is that nothing works as long as this one. Although aluminum has been chosen over other metals for roofing options, zinc roofs are quickly becoming a trend and here is why:
#1. Does Not Need An Extra Layer For Protection
Zinc roofs are as durable as they come. Unlike other metal options, which would need an extra layer to maintain longevity, zinc roofs do not need that. Zinc and copper are not prone to rusting or being affected by weathering as they form a protective patina., Both metals benefit from aging.
#2. Self-Healing Properties
With zinc roofs, you do not have to worry about maintaining them time and time again. The metal boasts natural self-healing properties, which makes it extremely low-maintenance.
#3. Many Colors
If you’re bothered that you won’t have many color options, then there’s nothing to be worried about. You can find dark grey, which almost appears to be black, and patina grey. Both of these colors are great options. However, if you want more options, then you can paint the zinc roofs with any colour you want.
#4. No Worries about Corrosion
As mentioned above, zinc self-heals, which means it is durable, malleable, flexible and attractive. The point with using zinc roofs is that you do not have to worry about these roofs to fall prey to corrosion as easily as other metals. Unlike galvanized steel, which is a popular choice for zinc roof are not affected by corrosion. With galvanized steel, the steel is galvanized first to add a protective coating to it. However, if the layer is scratched or forms a dent, it exposes the base material, which is prone to corrosion.
Here are Some More Benefits of Making Use of Zinc Roofs for Your Buildings:
- Zinc is the only metal that is clean and a contaminant-free metal, unlike other metal options. The clean property of zinc roofs helps those who are interested in water collection.
- It prevents unwanted heat to pass through the roof and enter your house.
- Zinc is recyclable.
- As zinc roofs have the property of self-healing, so roofs hardly get damaged. You won’t find any blemishes or scratches on your roof.
- Zinc roofs offer more aesthetic appeal to your house than other metals.
- Zinc roofs are eco-friendly. Zinc has a low melting point, so it takes less energy to manufacture a zinc roof.
Things to Keep In Mind before Switching To Zinc Roofing
- Make sure you know what kind of zinc you’re using. Some sellers offer natural zinc, which shines more. They form the patina naturally with time. However, many sellers sell pre-patina zinc as well.
- Consider the person you would get to install the zinc roofs. Zinc roofing is not free of challenges, so make sure you have someone who is experienced.
- Consider the finishes and types you can use before you select one.
Finally, you can find the zinc roofing option that suits you the best. Before choosing zinc roofs, make sure that your builder knows how to work with them.